Qimo 2.0 is now available!

Qimo-2.0-Teaser

After much hard work, and some delay, we are pleased to bring your the second version of our popular Linux Desktop for Kids!

Special Thanks

First off, I’d like to thank Brian Hall for once again providing the amazing artwork that makes Qimo so special and appealing to children of all ages.  I would also like to thank Jonathan Carter for patiently helping me learn how to create Ubuntu packages and get them uploaded into the official repositories (more on that below).

What’s New

Illa-on-Environment-at-Dusk
We have introduced a new character to Qimo, her name is Illa, a cute and cuddly little polar bear.  Illa (pronounced ‘ee-la’) is an Inuit word that means “friend”, and we know she’ll find her way into the hearts of your kids.  She also has her own wallpaper featuring the artic landscape at dusk, filled with hues of pink and purple with the Auroa Borealis shining in the sky.  Choose from a variety of Qimo and Illa wallpapers to find the one that is just right for your child.

Have more than one child?  With Qimo 2, they can each have their own user account!  The Xubuntu session is still there too, so you can create an account for yourself as well.

If you are already running Ubuntu 10.04, there’s no need do a fresh install to get Qimo.  Now you can add the qimo-session package from the Universe repository using Apt-get or Synaptic and you’ll get all of the games, artwork, and desktop session installed.

laby

We have had one game change in version 2.  Replacing eToys on the launcher is Laby, a very simple and easy game that will teach even the youngest aspiring programmer all the basics.  Tested on an actual 5 year old, Laby has proven to be a very approachable and effective teaching tool that we hope will inspire a new generation of software developers.

Download

Our direct download mirrors are busy updating to the new release.  If you can’t get through to one of them, you can download it via Bittorrent.  Our Download and Shop pages will be updated as we hear from our partners.

Download Torrent

MD5: fcc629f107e8ca8766b15bc6e5c32e5c

SHA1: 3e328b74b2eb9fcc179b2fa93afeccea55b59ca6

Direct downloads are available on our Download page!

Press

We have produced a collection of screenshots from Qimo 2.0, including the desktop, installation process, and each of the included games.  Feel free to use these images when talking about our new release. Please contact info@qimo4kids.com for additional information or comments.

screenshot_tour.zip (5.19 mb)

39 Responses to Qimo 2.0 is now available!

1. René Leonhardt says:

Congratulations to your new release!

I cannot find the info if OOo4Kids, a version of OpenOffice.org specifically designed for 7-12 years old kids, is contained on the ISO:

Keep up the good work!

2. Chris says:

Awesome. I’ve been waiting…. I’ve got Qimo 1.0 on an old Dell and the math games have really helped my 10year old learn/drill her basic facts, which she hated to do before Qimo. Now I catch her playing with it in her free time. Are there any special instructions to "upgrade" from the prior Qimo?

3. Mike says:

You’ve just made my kids the happiest they could be… about a distro release.LOL. My 5 year old LOVES Qimo, and will love the polar bear.

4. evan says:

Hi; looks great. Thanks. I installed it using the qimo-session package on top of an existing 10.04 install and I only see the default qimo wallpaper when I go to desktop settings. I saw in one of your previous posts that there should be a couple of different choices. Am I just not looking in the right place?

Thanks.

5. Michael Hall says:

evan,
    The rest of the backgrounds are in /usr/share/backgrounds, they’re just not automatically added to the list when you install the qimo-session.

6. Michael Hall says:

Chris,
    Unfortunately there is no way to upgrade from Qimo 1.0 to 2.0, this is due to the improper way the original was but together. However, we 2.0 was done the right way, and we will provide the ability to upgrade directly to future releases.

7. Michael Hall says:

René,
    We are watching the development of OpenOffice4Kids. For 2.0, we didn’t feel that it was ready yet, and we didn’t have enough space on the ISO to add it anyway. However, we would like to include it in a future release of Qimo.

8. Michael Hall says:

Lorenzo,
    Unfortunately we didn’t have space enough to include Italian language packs, but they can be added from Menu->System->Language Support.

9. Jorge Silva says:

I tried a live cd with Qimo 2.0 on a cpu by compaq with 384Mb ram , Amd k6-2@450mhz and 40Gb of Hdd and it doesn’t worked.I tried on a another cpu from a friend with an Intel P4 , 1Gb-ram, graphic card Geforce 128Mb and it worked.Is there a bug on this version ?

Best regards from Portugal,
    Jorge Silva

10. Michael Hall says:

Simon,
    You can put the LiveCD image onto a USB drive, and boot your netbook from that. You can do this with either the Startup Disk Creator that comes with Ubuntu (and Qimo), or Unetbootin. Using Startup Disk Creator, I was able to install Qimo 2.0 on an Asus EeePC 701.

11. Michael Hall says:

Jorge,
    There aren’t any bugs I’m aware of that would stop Qimo from installing on your AMD box. It’s possible that is uses an onboard graphics chipset that is reserving too much RAM, not leaving enough for the live session to start up. I have experienced this several times with onboard graphics.

12. Salvatore Gagliano says:

Congratulations for this nice distro. I’ve installed in the PC of my 10 yro sister the beta1 and in few time I’ll go to install the final release in her PIII and in PC of two my cousin (6 and 11 yro).
    About Ooo4kids, do you know if it is possible to add it from repositories? and if yes from what, from what category? I’ve tried to install from file, but I’ve not understood how I have to make.
    About language, i’ve installed italian language pack, but the games don’t ook to be completely translated: it’s normal, or something went wrong?

13. Michael Hall says:

Salvatore,
    OpenOffice4Kids isn’t in the Ubuntu repositories yet, but I know they are working on it. Hopefully they will have a PPA soon, and perhaps have their packages in the Multiverse repository in time for Ubuntu 10.10.

Translations are provided by volunteers in the open source community, either directly to the game developers or through Launchpad. Send me an email and I can help you get in touch with the right people to contribute translations.

14. Michael Hall says:

Klirking,
    The only thing you’re missing if you installed the Beta is the login screen and boot splash, and unfortunately I don’t have packages made for those yet. As soon as they are ready, I will make them available for installation.

15. Jimmerz says:

Really like what I see so far from Qimo 2.0…thank you for the efforts!

One problem I’m having. I have two users set up – one is me, the administrator, and one is my daughter’s which is a desktop account, and the "Qimo" user. But every time I switch away from the Qimo user and then go back to it, wireless doesn’t work and I have to disable the wireless, then re-enable it and re-enter my wireless key. And it takes FOREVER (like 5-10 minutes) to accept the key. When I login as myself (the administrator), there are no issues – wireless comes right up.

Any advice?

16. Miselph says:

@Simon

Quote:
    "Anyone know how I can boot Qimo on a netbook (no optical drive)?
    Thanks!"
    Canada

If the file is in an ISO format, download PowerISO, you can Google it or Bing it. Then extract the files from the ISO to the USB Device, and plug into the Net Book. All you have to do now is, explore the USB device and then look for the setup file and double click then install. The file installs just like Ubuntu does.

Good luck with it and thank you to the programer’s that put this wonderful operating system together!! You guys rock!